Tagari Garden Farm
Live in a Beautiful Place in the world - Garden and enjoy fresh wholesome food
September through to June is our season
Spring Summer Autumn
Revised 21 March 2017
* The Second Year Holiday Working Visa no longer obtained here
The situation here is "best" suited to individuals who already have a measure of experience with animal husbandry, horticulture/agriculture work and/or country living.
*But if you don't fit that description and feel you can get into the rhythm of the things to do and the things to work on, then Please do apply.
We take only three people at one time and look for people who can stay a minimum of three months- longer stays are by arrangement - Some people have stayed as long as two years and others stay for many months, then leave for travel and return for more months. We work to manage the property and take time to enjoy the beautiful Tasmanian nature.
Usually - especially after most of the crops are in the ground - we spend four hours a day - doing what we like - swimming in the clean clear water of
Boat Harbour Beach be sure to google this - :-)
Hiking -walking - horse training and riding - reading - resting- visiting friends - cooking - surfing - fishing- studying - etc....ect....ect....
When the harvesting is more than we can eat we preserve and preserve and preserve some more - we are just finishing the last of the peas, chestnuts and black berry - from the freezer - and from the pantry we are daily enjoying - Apple juice - Apple cider vinegar-dried apple - Tomato pasata - paste and - green beans - artichoke hearts - fermented cabbage - fermented cucumber - chestnuts - walnuts - potatoes -
we bake breads, pancakes, cakes and other things items from our own Rulla Road sour dough starter using fresh milled Tasmanian organic wheat.
The sort of asks you will be involved in include:
Expansion and care of vegetable production beds, hot house and nursery work, plant propagation, compost making, tree (fruit and other) maintenance, brush cutting, bush-fire readiness tasks, material depot re-organisation and de-clutter, blackberry and bracken fern replacement, snake habitat reduction around buildings, and small construction projects. Fencing etc etc etc...... :-)
If these tasks and the experience appeals to you, please read the following information and send us your application. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Student/wwoofer You will get to work un-supervised each morning and some afternoons too. You are expected to follow the instructions provided.
- Accommodation:On-site un-heated & un -powered caravans or camping.
- Bedding: Bedding is not available. Sorry - PLEASE bring your own sleeping bag. Tasmania is cold even in summer, please please please come prepared. To date only one girl from Brazil came prepared- all the rest of the students have arrived unprepared for the cold nights with inadequate sleeping bags and equipment. Please recognise our recommendation. You will be cold at times
- Camping Equipment: B Y O (please bring your own)
- Children:It's possible -we can talk about it - but there are dangers on any farm
- Food: Staff, students and wwoofers have the use of a covered, outdoor, gravel floor, wood fire heated kitchen and dining area with food available for self-catering three meals a day. There are no pre-made cakes, biscuits, chips, soda or other such items provided. Attendants are free to cook what they like after working times. The kitchen is stocked with meat from a butcher but also hunted or farm killed meat may be used, fresh produce, dry and tinned goods are also part of the pantry
- Garden Produce : Things growing here are usually installed by hands other than yours- Harvesting is finally arriving the long awaited and planned for products- its a critical business we've waited for up to 9 months in some cases for this food- investing our time and energy into it. So when you are new you are not allowed to harvest. Later you will harvest up to twice daily -( as long as you can do it to our standard )
- Hands-on practical work time frame: Generally - The time-frame will vary according to the weather.
- Internet: Free Wireless.
- Laundry: Washing machine and outdoor clothesline.
- Location: 18 km west of Wynyard.
- Maximum Stay: Twelve months or by arrangement.
- Minimum Stay: Three months.
- Telephone service: Telstra is the main service available that works in this area.
- Toilets: Outdoor drop toilets.
- Showers: Hot showers. LPG.
Our Requirements - Please Read - This is Important
- Usually you must arrive on a Monday or Wednesday between the hours of noon and 5.00 pm. No Friday or weekend arrivals Please
- All forms need to be completed, received and approved. Before your arrival.
- You need to possess a good attitude, be easy going and willing to work according to instructions
- You must be willing to work outdoors in the rain-
- Must have current tetanus immunisation. Please do not come here without a tetanus shot because you cannot stay here without one
- Stamina and endurance.
- Telephone interview will be conducted prior to acceptance into the program.
- Written or verbal acceptance into program for the specified time. Before your arrival.
- You must have a valid wwoofing membership before your arrival. Use this link here http://www.wwoof.com.au/wwoofers/how-to-join for further information and to join.
What YOU MUST Bring
- Gloves: Good quality, rugged gloves - rubberised combined with cloth style are recommended and we suggest you have a minimum of two pairs to use. Due to health reasons and the transmission of skin problems we do not provide gloves.
- Headlamp with batteries.
- Current passport with valid Australian visa (or printout if electronic). Which you allow us to scan
- Drivers license. which you allow us to scan
- Personal toiletries. Please no bad chemicals - your waste stays here
- Pillow (if required).
- Sleeping bag rated for zero degrees C or colder
- Specialised dietary requirements and foods. (if you require these)
- Sturdy, fully enclosed work shoes which are comfortable and weather proof.
- Sturdy, durable, protective clothing.
- Rugged farm attire (we recommend long sleeve shirt and long trousers in all seasons).
- Sun hat and rain hat.
- Warm woollen hat, gloves and clothes for cold weather.
- Wet weather gear for working in the rain
What you need to know
- Animals and poultry are killed on site for food or vermin control.
- Cats which show up here are trapped and shot to protect native fauna.
- Food is from mixed sources. Not all food is from the property and not all of it is organic. ( but it mostly is ...:-) we are getting there more and more .....
- Redline bus does stop 300m away. Schedule can be viewed from the link on our website. It is not a daily service or even convenient.
- Telstra is the only mobile service that works reliably in this area.
- There are safety and other inductions which will be presented upon arrival. The contents of which you must agree with and adhere to.
- There is no trip to town provided.
- Please realise that should you be accepted, you will live where people have worked in the past to establish everything here because it is how we like it and often it is established as a stepping stone in the development. We did not do these things to please others- If you do not or can nott respect the property, people, rules and what we ask of you, then you will not be welcome and you will be asked to leave immediately and without prior notice.
Training Topics may include the following:
Presentation schedule is provided at the instructor's discretion but will coincide with the seasonal requirements of the property as well as catering to student's needs and level of knowledge. At this time Lisa is the instructor. She will help you where ever she can.
- Permaculture Design Course topics.
Vegetable Production and Gardening for Domestic Food Security
- Compost and soil biology
- Fertilzation calculations and recommendations
- Harvesting for plant health and animal / human health
- Hot House
- Irrigation: micro spray, drip and automated
- Planning of crops and yields
- Propagation - seeds and cuttings
- Season extension
- Seeds and seed saving
- Soil analysis
- Soil preparation
- Bio Intensive
- Perennial Vegetables
- Sheet Mulch
- Swale construction
That about wraps it up - We'd love to see your application an perhaps spend the "season" with you!!